Somerset Medical Center provides a variety of resources to facilitate communication for patients. All services are accessed through the medical center's Operator.
- Basic telephone service available in all patient rooms
- Multi-lingual interpretation
- Sign language communication
- Telecommunication Device for the Deaf (TDD) telephones that can be installed in any patient room
- "Relay service" that enables patients to call and receive calls from hearing impaired persons
- Amplified handsets
In addition, our Lifeline Program is a personal emergency response system that provides independence, security and peace of mind to individuals in their home at the touch of a button, 24 hours a day.
Somerset Medical Center has invested in Video Remote Interpretation Services for translation services for people who communicate in languages other than the spoken English language; these other languages include American Sign Language. Our investment in the VRI services is the result of research in effective communication systems that meet all regulatory or legal requirements for effective communication to non-English speaking patients including hearing –impaired patients. Our staff is prepared to work with our patients to use the VRI system and any other auxiliary communication techniques, such as a communication board, that are needed to assure effective communication.